Friday, December 17, 2004

Dreams that plague me

In my dreams last night I was taken back in time. I was transported back to a time when I was
still young and full of hope and had not a care in the world. I was fairly unscathed by the world
and still full of wonder. It is unfortunate how life has a way of changing such things.
Though I was tossed back in such an age it was a turning point for me. I relived it through the
vividness of restless dreams.
A dear friend of mine at the time, Kimbah, had run off with her boyfriend and left her
dependent mother alone. Her mother and I were good friends so I decided to move in and help
her out. It was a wonderful idea and a selfless thing to do. My parents had just split up and
were intent on getting a divorce. I was nineteen.
Debbie (Kimbah’s mom) lived on the border of Meeker which is an adjoining town to Shawnee
where I lived. She owned a good 2 or 3 acres of land and had a lot of privacy. I loved it there.
During the day on my days off from work I would wander the property accompanied by her
animals. She had several labs and a Wolf/coyote named Kali. Yes, Kali as in the goddess of war
or whatever. Did I mention Debbie was a “witch?”
The two of us had an understanding between us. She would not try to convert me to her
religion and I would leave her to her own demise…and yes, my friends, it was demise.
I will never understand how it is that I have, as a Christian, always been surrounded by
Wiccans and the like. Every one of them has lived horrible lives brought on themselves by the
very thing that they hope will save them. Yet, I held my tongue.
During the course of my stay there Kimbah and her “man” came back after she had given birth
to his son. They were only staying a little bit because Debbie had become violently ill and was
in the hospital.
One morning, I was running an errand for Debbie and when I arrived back the fun began. I
walked in the house and there stood Kimbah and all of her obese glory.
“Where have you been? Who do you think you are taking Mom’s car and running off in the
morning?”
“Hey, I was running an errand for your mother because, she knows I’m dependable. You can
just back the fuck off!” It should’ve ended there…but no, it never does.
“Well, she called and was upset. (I later learned that it was because she didn’t want me to leave
Kimbah’s man alone with her in the house…would’ve been nice to know that fact earlier) She
wants you to call her.”
“In a minute.”
“Now!” I spun around as my temper flared.
“So you think you can order me around huh? Is that it?”
“She’s my mother and this is my house. So, yes, I can tell you what you’ll be doing and I expect
you to do it.” Now I don’t know what possessed her because, we had been friends for a good
while and she knows I don’t take that kind of shit from anybody.
“No, Kimbah, this used to be your house. I live here now as does your mother but, you ran off
with that old pervert and left your ailing mother home alone to die. I’m more of a daughter to
her than you’ll ever be. I’m doing what you should’ve done all along.” --Slap! The bitch
slapped me…so the fighting began. I didn’t waste any time and kicked her in the crautch. For
those of you who have had an episiotomy after having a child you will understand why I chose
that course of action rather than a fist fight. As expected she doubled over in pain.
During our “disagreement” her old man was grabbing all the baby stuff and packing them in the
car. It was then he told Kimbah he was going to take her baby and leave her like he’d been
planning.
Kimbah broke out in tears and begged him not to take her baby from her. (I need to mention
that he hadn’t wanted the baby and had repeatedly hit and kicked her in the belly while she
was pregnant and she still stayed with him…words fail me)
As he was walking out the door I grabbed the nearest thing (which happened to be a butcher
knife) and held it to his chest.
“Put the fucking baby down now. And sit over there bastard. I’m calling the cops!”
As Kimbah retrieves her baby and hugs me…I’m on the phone with the cops and “Bones” split.
About a week later I decide to move out and let Kimbah rekindle things with her mom and
everyone seemed happy.
Then a few months later Kimbah is telling me that him leaving her in my fault…bla bla bla.
Lesson learned, my friends. Don’t be a hero. You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if
you don’t…I wish I could forget that whole episode in a life I call my own.
What was I to do?...let the bastard take the baby? He was bigger than both of us and Kimbah
was intent to blubber on the floor. I believe she would’ve been just as pissed if I had not done
anything.