Friday, October 01, 2004

Awake with the rain and trees...

Awake. I turn to look at the clock, noticing that my husband is not in bed. The glowing green numbers confirm my suspicions. It’s 8am and it’s dark outside. I knew there was a 70% chance of rain today. Even had I not known, the storm had hit last night but, I wasn’t sure if it was sticking around for today. Hopefully, it will be. The rain balances my Libran quirks.
Last night my husband and I stood on the porch in the rain. We just breathed in the fresh coolness of the night storm and held each other. “My life is perfect with you in it,” I told my love. He nuzzled the top of my head with his chin and then kissed me.
I slept very well last night, thanks to my friend the rain. And so far, it has given me a good morning as well. I’ve sat here in the quiet of the morning and just pondered the universe and my role in it.
The children and I sat outside most of yesterday. We had painted our pumpkins and placed them outside. Then we got out the sidewalk chalk and drew some pumpkins and ghosts and vampires on the driveway. It was so nice and cool outside that we kicked the ball around and then sat back and watched the trees. The wind was blowing and the branches full of leaves were swaying like waves on a dark pond. My daughter said they were waving “Hi.” I fully agreed with her.
I am learning to feel calm again. It’s been a long time since I’ve found time to stop and smell the roses…or rather, to watch the trees with a small child’s imagination.