Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Chivalry IS dead

I have the car all of this week so of course I'm out of here.
Before we were down to one car I was never home.
I get cabin fever easily as do my children.
Yesterday was no exception.

I was babysitting my nephew all day long, but I needed to get out of the house.
And I had the car so...
Three kids or not, I was going to go do something.

I decided that I was going to go get a new license (b/c I never could find my old one), then I had to stop by the bank and deposit some money, I promised my daughter that we could go to the car wash (so we did), and I stopped at the store to get some rice-crispy cereal (to make rice-crispy treats with).

I've done it with two kids for a long time now.
It didn't occur to me that it would be to hard.
This is Oklahoma, the land of chivalry!

Well, my first stop was the tag agency for a new license.
An old man stopped to hold the door for me and the three kiddos.
I gave my two kids each a quarter for them to get some candy and had them sit on the bench while I took care of what needed to be done. (I sat my nephew down in front of them for them to watch in his car seat...he was sleeping)

Well, I get my stupid picture taken and all of that crap.
As I'm writing them the check this seven or eight year old boy sat next to my kids.
My daughter freaks out that he's too close to the baby and told him to leave.
I'm chuckling b/c the boy was being nice and making faces at my nephew who is now awake.

As I leave this place with my GIANT purse on my shoulder, my son holding my left hand who is also holding hands with his sister, and a baby in a car seat in my right I pause at the door. Let me tell you how hard it is to maneuver three children out the door at the same time. Not one person offered to help, not even the lady who I asked to hold the door for a second.

It shouldn't have been too hard, but I've trained my two to never let go of my hand when we're near the street and the way people drive in OKC is scary as shit.

The next two stops were easy b/c we got to stay in the car.
Gotta love drive through banking!
Gotta love car washes!

Then I go to the store.
This wasn't so bad.
There were plenty of people holding doors and what not.

Life was grand until I get up to the cashier to pay.
My nephew decided then at that moment he wasn't happy.
And he let everyone know about it.
When my nephew cries he turns his whole body red.
So they kept asking me if he was alright.
I'm like, "YES, now hurry up and ring me up so I can get him home!"

Whoa, thank GOD I only had two children!
I don't know how people do it with 3, 4, or 5.

...and I'm out of here again today!
But, I had to post before I left and to tell everybody...
"Man ya'll, I'm addicted to this blog thang. I've got to get my ass out for a while and then I'll check on ya'll after the kids go to bed."

On that note...
When was the last time someone helped you out and how?
(show me that chivalry isn't really dead.)