Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day

My Dad has never been one for the old "heart to heart" kind of talks.
Not that it really bothered me, ya know.
You grow up learning who you can and can't confide in and who will or won't listen.

That is why today I was in total shock when I was talking with my Dad.

I stopped by with the kids for crapes and bacon & to see my Dad on Father's Day.
As I was leaving we got to talking.
He asked me if I needed any gas money.

"No, Dad. I'm fine."

He then told me that he it meant so much that I came out to see him for Father's Day.
...That it was the best present he could ever hope for.

I told him that I wish I could see them more often.

I talk to them all the time on the phone.
They call me once a day to see how every body is doing.
"Do the kids want to say hi?"
"How are you doing?"
It's that type of thing and I wish that we lived closer.

What he said next floored me.
I didn't know how to respond.
I was touched by the sincerity.

"You know I used to talk with my Grandad and I used to tell him that. 'I wish I got to see you more often.' He said we all have different destynies and he understood that I couldn't come up more often. He told me that I was always in his thoughts, in his mind, and in his heart. Abd that when ever I could make it up to see him was enough for him. I guess that's what I'm saying to you. I think about you and you're in my heart and I love you."

My Dad was always either goofy or VERY serious.
I just didn't know how to respond and so I hugged him.

I love my Dad.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!

Dad's advice on careers...