Sunday, October 03, 2004

See how the mighty have Fallen.

It was with heavy hearts that we stood there staring down at the freshly dug soil. The wind blew my hair as I turned to look up at the afternoon sky. Fall, what a fitting name for this season’s day. Yet, through the sadness I found myself smiling. I would remember this day for all time. So would my daughter as she stood so distraught, pondering what had just occurred. Death was hard to explain to a child and I wonder if she would truly understand that he wouldn’t come back.
It had been my son’s fault but, he was too young to understand what he had done. I would never blame him. After all, a roly-poly was a fragile creature. Bless his heart, I told him to be gentle. He just touches too hard sometimes. I patted him on the head as my daughter sang the “ABC’s” for the dead roly-poly. He had been a good friend to her.
God bless that little poly and may he rest in peace.