Friday, August 27, 2004

My Alien Abduction, sort of...

When I was about, oh...15-16-ish, I had a very dear friend, Christina. We still keep in contact through email, though she lives in LA.
We went everywhere together for several years. I staid at her house quite often, because she lived near the Shawnee twin lakes. Her parents had this little run down trailer that I loved which was in the middle of the woods and you had to know where you going to get there.
She had an above ground swimming pool, though I don't know why. We would just sneak to the lakes edge and go swimming after it got dark. It was a $200 fine if you were caught swimming in any area but the designated one. Poowee on them! I suppose we should have been afraid of getting bitten by a cotton-mouth (water snake-very poisonous), but we lived in Oklahoma. We were both taught how to spot and tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. I knew how to catch them and we both knew enough not to provoke them. They generally kept to themselves. Hell, at that age we didn't care. We were enjoying the stars twinkling silver on the black-night colored lake, making it look like a solid sheet of onyx when the waters were calm.
Christina, had a sister who's trailer was through a little of the woods and across an open field. We would sometimes go visit her there. One New Years Eve, she let us have one glass of wine with her and her husband.
On one night when I was staying over, we had us a little adventure. Her mother (who was a Seminole Indian/native American..same thing) was working that night and her father was already in bed. It was dark outside and we were bored, but we really didn't want to drive back into town. We were watching an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. That was a pretty scary show sometimes. That night, it was about alien abductions. We were sucked in. I was very into the X-Files at the time and the whole 'alien conspiracy theory.' The way I saw it, was that God in His infinite wisdom didn't just create us. I'm still curious, but not as accepting of the notion. (But I still think David Duchavni/Mulder is hot)
Well, about the time the show ended, Chrity's sister gave us a call and wanted to know if we wanted to come over and play a game...dominoes or farkle...it's been too long. But of course we said, "Hell, yes!"
So, now we had to go through a little wooded area and across a field to get there. We were both kinda creeped out after watching that damn show. Those crop circles that we saw kept popping up in our minds as we were about to start across the fields. I remember us both standing at the edge of the tree line looking at each other and then towards the field...then up to the stars. We had a little fit of nervous laughter followed by a couple of, "That stuff's just all make believe, right." "Right." It still didn't do anything to calm our nerves. I had one of those "Hair raising feelings," that makes you think that something is right behind you about to get you. I know I'm not the only one who's felt that before. So now Christy and I look at each other and a silent question floated between us. (Run for it?) We nodded at each other. Then, like bats out of hell, we sprinted across the field. All the while keeping the other trailer in site as to not focus on the sky. Like it might summon the aliens there or something.
When we reached the trailer, we were out of breath and her sister was laughing at us. We both felt a little silly, but when we left to go back we ran all the way back...even through the woods. I miss those days. At least we were doing something...together as friends.