Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yes! Yes! YES!

I am just flooded with relief, certainly, but more than that. Happiness. Clarity. Calmness. Excitedness. Yes!
After calling every half-hour to the financial aid office yesterday, only to hear the tune of "I'm Busy," I was in a little bit of a tizzy. You see, already I have homework due by Sunday night and I am not one to put the online class work off. If I do, I can never get caught up. I promised myself that I would make all "A"s this semester, because they're all easy classes. But I had a major problem with that. I couldn't afford the school books and my financial aid had not yet come in. I called about one book and my gut clenched when the man said that it was $92. Ninety-two dollars!
"Okay, well, I don't mind used books, what about them?"
My mind was still numb when he came back online and said it would be $69. Wow. Still a bit out of my reach. Now had it been like $40-$45, I could've come up with that. So my mind has been a jumble of...How am I going to do this? Is this a sign that I should just quit while I'm a head? Am I even smart enough to be bothering with college, because apparently I'm not even capable of getting my school books for my stupid courses?
Then amidst the crying and asking myself the "why's" of it all...I get angry with myself. Hell yes, I can do this. I have done it for a year now. I am not going to quit, because I am not that easy to get rid of. And, oh yeah, if some of the stupid-ass nurses I've met and worked with made it through school, then I know I can do this. It is just a matter of trusting God. Trust is what I have a BIG problem with. But I refused to let this crap drag into the depths of despair. So, when I a woke this morning I set to my work. I was going to find a way to get my books or a resource online or something!
After getting the kids settled into some Teletubies, I start the calling. Busy, busy, busy.........................busy, busy.........busy, then ring. Oh my God, my heart was in my throat. I was actually getting through. I glance at the clock. It's now 10:30am, it's taken me calling repeatedly for 2 1/2 hours to get through and even then I'm not sure it's going to be good news. But, I wasn't going to think about it until they dropped the damn bomb. A lady picked up.
"financial Aid office, _____ speaking. How may I help you?" I'm just smiling ear to ear. Too good to be true, she sounded like my grandma--a sweet old lady.
"Yes mam, I am needed to check on my financial aid status and I have a few questions. If you don't mind." After giving her my ID# and such she comes back on with.
"Well, I see you were awarded yesterday and should be getting your letter in the mail today or tomorrow." If it was possible my smile got bigger.
"Okay, great! Uhmm...about my books. I can't afford them. When will I be able to get them or how or what do I need to do? I'm kinda desperate here with classes already started."
"Oh, well...since you have been awarded you just need to take your ID and social security card, along with your class schedule to the book store and it will be taken out of the awardings."
"That's all?"
"That's all."
Yeah, Woo-hoo, Yippi-skippi! I felt like doing the happy-happy-joy-joy dance. This is just the best news I've heard in months. I am just so happy. Damn happy. If anyone else is having a super-fantastic day...comment and leave your story. This much happiness needs to be celebrated! Shared! Experienced!