Saturday, September 18, 2004

The Turning Of The Leaves

While I was still living in Shawnee, my home town, I worked for a home health agency. I loved it but, it required me to be at several different homes a day. That still wasn’t a problem for me except when my car was broken down. My car was usually broken down and as you can imagine I did a lot of walking. Walking didn’t bother me. I made sure that the houses were no more than two or three miles from my place and I had at least thirty minutes to an hour between appointments. That was very easy for me because, I was a wanted girl. I had clients beg to have me be their aid and I loved it. I’ve always had pride in my ability to do my job well.
The last year I lived in Shawnee I was going through a lot of turmoil. I felt lost in myself and alone. It was during my walks to and from the patient’s houses that I found solace. It was a type of meditation or reflection, maybe.
It was Fall. I found myself entranced during these walks. More and more I looked for different paths to the houses that I worked in order to be surrounded by the trees with their leaves turning shades of gold, copper, orange, and yellow. I would close my eyes and breathe deeply and pray. There was a time I was really involved with Church but, I got rebellious at one point and thought I knew better than God. I was separated from Him by my own device. Only then, when I was walking in the beauty of His hands did I feel as if I were near Him again. The power that would fill me as I walked down my favorite street was overwhelming and always brought me close to tears. I felt Him. Maybe it was the way the trees stretched out over me like hands shielding me from the elements. I felt warm and safe in the midst of those soft warm colors adorning every branch. I was being offered a second chance. Though at the time I wasn’t sure just what that was.
Now as I look at my husband and my children I know what that chance was. I know I made the right choice and I know God watches over us. I am no where near perfect but, no one is. I cannot wait for the leaves to turn this year as I stand outside and breathe in deeply.