Friday, October 15, 2004

a ray of sun shine in the middle of the night

It was around mid-night and I was just slipping into bed next to my old man. I'd flipped the little TV that sat next to our bed on and was flipping channels. I do this every night in hopes that it will put me in a sleepy trance or at least make me feel sleepy. I was getting upset about the lack of horror flicks on this far into October. Just as I was about to flip it off the phone rang.
"It's for you." My husband moans without ever really waking up. I knew he was right. Most of my family works nights, I used to as well. It's better money and less stress. So I get up and run to answer the phone.
"Hello."
"Hey!" I was in a medicine induced fog and it took several minutes for me to realize who I was talking too.
"Hey, Devona, Are you there? It's me." It hit me like a ton of bricks.
"Tracy?! Damn, girl! How are you...."
We talked till about 1am-ish and when I got off the phone I was able to fall right to sleep. It's been months since I heard from her and I've been worried and missing her everyday. We've known each other since the 3rd grade and are closer than sisters. She practically lived at my house for years.
It just goes to show you that true friends never loose touch. She's had a rough time and has been missing me as well. It seems that now we're both just about on our feet and are able to stay in touch once again. My daughter has been missing Tracy's son...she calls him her boyfriend. Maybe things really are going to be alright after all...I think it's a sign!