Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A Friend In Need

I awoke about 4:45am, not with another insomniac bought but, with the need to pee like a Sumo-wrestler on buffet night. I shouldn’t have had so much to drink before I went to bed—even though I went tinkle before I swam into the bedroom.

Yes, swam…I took my sleeping pill before I was even ready to get into bed. Dumb, yes…probably…okay, maybe! The fact of the matter was that I did the same thing yesterday night and it didn’t knock my ass out for a few hours. So how was I to know that it would do so this time?

La-la-la-la-la-la-la!


Okay, so after we had just got done with dinner last night I was asked to make some tea.
Simple right? Well, it should’ve been but, seeing as I haven’t made tea with our Mr. Ice Tea Maker in such a long time…and that I wasn’t raised with a “tea maker” (Our tea maker was one of us, a pan of water simmering over the stove with tea bags in it, and a pitcher with sugar and some ice in it)…it wasn’t as easy.
First off, we didn’t have ice. No problem, that just means you add more water, or something
And so I did. I filled the pitcher to the top line and tried to pour the entire contents into the tea maker. WHOOPS!
It flooded the floor and all my husband can do is laugh and ask,
“Are you okay, love?” In that sarcastic tone only a man can speak in.

Bastard, LOL!

So as I’m mopping up the excess water with some already dirty towels (because once again, laundry is backed up and I’m not wasting my paper towels to clean up such a HUGE mess) the phone rings.


“You’ll have to get it. I’m in the middle of being a ‘good little woman’ here.” More spells of laughter erupt from us both. And the Rogue With hands me the phone.

“Hello.”

“Devona, Hey what are you doing?” More laughter.

“I’m, uh…er…making…some tea, among other things. (Like a huge fucking mess, lol) What’s going on with you, girl?”

“I’m in the hospital.” I stopped mopping up water.

“Are you okay? Is it your pancreas like they thought…what, where?”

So after talking to her and her old man to get the directions…seeing as she was kinda, shall we say, out of it on the drive up there…I announce that I’m going to hop in the shower and head up there.


No, I did NOT get lost. LOL…you see my Dad and my Step-Mother work at the V.A. Hospital which is amid all of the rest of the OU medical “centers”. For some reason, someone thought they should stick about 13 different hospitals and centers in the SAME area. For real, you can walk from one building to the other. It’s pretty uncommon in this state unless it’s down town OKC or Tulsa (but why anyone would want to go to TULSA is beyond me…I mean except for their kick-ass mall, anyway). So you see, I knew how to get somewhere…which made me VERY happy.


Yet, what’s this, folks? FOG…like the thick fog that you see in those movies about Sherlock Holmes or from the move The Fog.
I figure what the hell; I’ll just drive slow…
It took me almost 20 minutes to get up there so that wasn’t that bad considering it usually only takes me about 15 minutes to get there. It just sucked that I had to pause at every freakin’ road because I couldn’t read them until I was up on them and the land marks I use were completely invisible.


AH, my poor friend looked like crap! (Though I mean that in a Not too bad way, girl...really) They had been giving her Demerol and phenergan (sp?). Apparently it is not her pancreas; it’s her gall bladder. It’s filled with ‘sludge’ and therefore does not work properly, which is why she is in so much pain and nauseous all the time.

Did I mention she’s pregnant? Well, she is. She is about 10 weeks along, which is still the first trimester but nearing the end of it. So they can’t do surgery until at least the second trimester. Which translates too: they are going to keep her in the hospital until they do surgery on her.

The BAD side: This means that her old man now has to get a job because she can’t work while she’s in the hospital. Also, she has a little boy (two months younger than mine, Dayton [Dayton—and mine is Aiden, you should hear us trying to call the right kid when we’re together, lol]) and someone has to watch him while her old man goes job looking and she’s in the hospital. I would volunteer but, I don’t live near Tecumseh anymore (and as much as I would LOVE to watch Dayton, I think it’s best that I do not—for safety’s sake/cough).

The GOOD side: I get to see her more often because a 15-20 minute drive I can do…it’s those 45-60 minutes ones that have me retching at the price of gas and the amount of money in my bank account. I just don’t like the fact that I haven’t seen her in almost a year (though we talk on the phone for as long and as often as possible) until now and it’s only because they sent her up near where I now live that I get to see her.

I told her no more kids! She (and her old man) agreed. She had enough problems with having her son and we’re both hoping this one will be a girl…but another boy will be fine as well. So she is going to do like I did and get her tubes tied, courtesy of the government. Because when you’re poor and pregnant the government aid comes in very handy and they are all about getting you spayed or neutered (although you have to be married to them in order to have you old man neutered).

So anyway…guys keep her in your prayers. I rather think she needs a vacation but, LOL…this is not what I had in mind. So pray that her Old man gets a good job so they don’t loose any of their shit.