Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Medieval Fair

Alright, I look forward to this event all year long. It's almost as cool as Halloween!

The Medieval Fair is coming to town soon! Good because I so need some more smell good stuff and I need to look at some half naked men in kilts! (Mostly that)

LOL

My daughter and myself went for a ride last year on an elephant while we were out there. She loved it.

Now let me take you back to the year before that.

{scooby-doo/Wayne's World flash back thingy goes here}

The husband and I packed up the kids, the stroller, the diaper bag, the bottle bag, and the van and headed out to the Medieval Fair. The day was beautiful. The birds were singing, the mermaids were laughing, and even the weather was smiling down on us in an over-cast kinda way. We were trying to meet up with the "evil-family-X-members-people" who had parked at the other end of this HUGE, I mean FREAKIN' HUGE park filled with jesters, a King, a Queen, and all sorts of Fae-folk. On our way to meet them we decided that it would be more fun just to wander around because...We were never going to find them in the huge crowd of weird-o's and fair participants. And we'd wandered around for about an hour and decided that (being as it was lunch time, anyway) we were all hungry.

Ah, the food of the medieval fair is something to savor. You can get turkey legs and eat them as if you were a savage Viking or you can get some Indian tacos....Among anything else you can think of. That day we had a blooming onion and I can't remember what else (if anything b/c DAMN...That thing was HUGE) and a couple of drinks.

It was shortly after we finished eating that we realized our son was stinky and needed a diaper change. No problem, we just had to walk back to the car.

Except that we had to park what seemed like a mile away. It was quite a few blocks...And this is Oklahoma...We've got some l-o-n-g ass blocks.

So we get to the car and...Where are the keys?

I look to my husband who was carrying them. He then looks at our son and starts to cuss under his breath.

"What happened?"

"I clipped the keys to Aiden's seat-belt. I didn't think he could get them off."

SMACK!

Okay, so I didn't hit him but, it kept crossing my mind as we trucked it back to the fair.

We had walked all over that damn fair and it was crowded with people. This was literally going to be looking for a needle in a hay-stack.

So, over the river and through the woods...Across the troll bridge...Passed the house of scented stones and next to blooming onion stand we go.

Nope, nope, nuh-uh, nope...

"I'm not seeing them...love."

"I said I was sorry."

"So what do we do now? It's not as if we even live in Norman anymore!"

"We're going to have to call your parents and have them bring us the spare key."

"So, we're going to have to walk back to the van. GREAT!"

So off we go, heading towards the nearest gas station which has a pay phone...Which was about a mile from the damn fair. My temper in rising with each step I take and I was practically dragging my daughter in tow. So much so that my husband has me stop and puts our daughter in the double stroller that he is pushing as I go marching in ahead.

As if that's not enough, I have to go take out some money from the ATM and buy something to get enough change to make a call on the pay phone...BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE ANYMORE CASH ON US!

So, after calling and explaining the situation...We now have to wait for my parents to drive the 20-30 minutes up highway 9 (on the edge of Norman) to near OU campus (down town Norman). I don't think we spoke at all till my parents showed up. I opted to stay with the kids and my step-Mother as my Dad drove my husband back to the site of the van. Because, I was through walking.

Everyone laughed, except me, and then after the parents left...And I don't know why he even asked!...My husband asks me if I want to go back to the fair for a while or not?

"HELL, NO! I want to go home...The excitement has been ruined this time around, thank you very much."

So we went home.

I was pissed for weeks after and it was then we decided that we should BOTH have a set of keys...For just that kind of situation.

I still have to remind him of the "Medieval Key Affair" from time to time...Just to get a rise out of him.