Monday, April 18, 2005

BARNACLES

I did some blood typing in lab tonight.

I'm such a pussy...
I can stick and poke other people all day long, but I cringe when someone else has to stick me. AND THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD POKE MYSELF!!

So, my wonderful lab partner did mine and I hers. I opted to be first and get it over with.

........

After a good ten minute prep and several "practices"...and a few deep breaths, I let her poke my finger.

[Now, I should add that I have been a CMA since I was 18. CMA stands for certified medication aid, which means that I have been trained to administer medication, do finger sticks, and give insulin. So I know how this works. ]

My partner, after I gave her the "look, this is how you do it so it won't hurt me very badly" speech...stuck me. Only, she did it so hard that the lancet got stuck in my finger and we had to wiggle it out. (That is NOT how I explained it to her, by the way)

Then it was her turn...

Being the professional that I am, I did not inflict unnecessary pain on her. Yet, I did feel a certain satisfaction when she "Yiped" like a little dog. LOL

After I typed my blood I was asked to walk around and help the rest of the class poke themselves. They were even bigger pussies than I was. That, and after they saw that lancet get stuck in my finger they didn't trust just anyone to do it. It was nice. I felt like I was working at the hospital again.

I do so love to bleed people.

____________________________________________________


Is it just me, or does anyone else like to have an occasional glass of pickle juice?

...just wondering...