Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...

Yesterday I realized I had to get my school books for this semester. Well, it’s really a lot of trouble when one only has one car in a two car family. Rogue Wit was kind enough to waste his lunch hour by driving home so I could drop him back off to work and run my errands. I was originally going to do this today but, Rogue Wit needs the car today.

Well, being that this was a spur of the moment decision, I had to scramble to gather all of my things together. That doesn’t even include dressing the children and packing an “oops bag” just in case.

But Devona, shouldn’t the kids already be dressed?

Yes, and they were but, the night before they went to that birthday party and got all sorts of candy from a piñata. My son was several shades of red and green from different candies he had “tasted” and decided he didn’t like. I hate taking them places when they look like they’ve been left to run around without parental supervision. Isn’t it policy to allow your kids to get sugared up the day after a party? Like Halloween, don’t lie and tell me that you don’t allow your kids to eat all of their goodies the next day. They bring home the candy, you send them to bed, look over the candy to make sure it wasn’t tampered with, and take out a couple of your favorites (hey, those who walk with the children deserve some kind of reward).

Hmmm…Wait; okay…I remember what I was talking about.

So after washing off the children, putting on my makeup, doing my hair, and packing their bag, I sit down to make myself a list of things to get done.

List:
*speak with financial aid and make sure my grants are in
*if grants are in pick up school books
*refill Rogue Wit’s B/P medicine (@ Wal-mart)
*pick up new parking permit for the college
*stop by the elementary school and get my son in speech therapy
*go to the store (not Wal-mart)
*pick up Rogue Wit from work

Seems rather simple doesn’t it? Well, keep in mind I didn’t receive the car until noon. Then it was straight to the college. I actually was able to park close to the admissions building. Then I drag my little ones with me up there to ask admissions about my parking permit. They tell me I’ll have to ask at the student center.

No problem. I’ve got to go over there to ask some questions about my financial aid and grants anyway. Plus, I’ve got to get a print out of my classes because my printer here at the house only prints it out half way.

So I drag the kids two buildings over. I ask the lady at the student counsel desk to print me off a schedule. The lady was busy and told me it’d be ten minutes or so. No problem. I will go up stairs and talk with the financial aid.

My grants are in and I can go get my books! YAY! So, I go back down stairs and pick up my print off. Then I ask the lady about the parking permit to which she replies, “Honey, you get that at the admissions building.”
“Uhm, I was over there and they told me to come here.”
“Were you in the cashiers’ line?”
“Uhm, no. I was in the admissions and information line but, they told me to come here. They didn’t say anything about the cashiers’ line.”


It kind of pisses me off because the admissions line and the cashiers’ line are in the same hall. This is no shit. You walk through the double doors and to your right are the admissions and information windows and to your left are the cashiers’ windows. You’d think being that they can just call across the hallway they’d know what was going on…you’d think.

Well, I was closer to the book store so I dragged the kids over one more building to get my books and supplies. Of course I get there and have to wait. I hate students help in the book store. It was a bunch of nineteen-twenty year olds fresh out of high school and one old horny woman who giggled as much as they did. When they got around to me it took them a good twenty minutes of “looking” for the books. Wasting all of this time only to find three out of the four books I need and all the while my children are telling me that they’re hungry.

“Okay, so when can I come back and get my math book?”
“Probably on Monday but, you should call first.”

Thank you Bill and Ted. Bastards! So I drag my children back three buildings to the admissions building and to my joy there was no line at the cashier window. So I get up there and fill out the thing only I can’t remember the tag of the mini-van. I’m a woman; okay…we don’t remember shit like that. No problem though. She tells me to take it out to my car and bring it back.

So I get out to my car and say fuck it. It’s 1:15 and the kids haven’t had lunch and I’ve still got a lot to do left on my list. I’ll bring it back next week. After all she didn’t say “when” to bring it back.

So we stop at Pizza Hut about 1:40. My daughter realizes that it’s not Mazzio’s and gets upset.

“Pizza Hut is just as good if not better…now eat your pizza.”
“I wanna go to the better one, Mama.”
“EAT.”

As we’re finishing I realize my left leg is wet. I look down and realize my son had an accident and I’m sharing in his humility. DAMN. So I strip him in the car only to realize that I only packed extra pull-ups and a shirt. What was I thinking? I don’t know. So I had to put new pull-ups on him and back on with the wet shorts. I can’t very well take him in to get him enrolled in nothing but a shirt and pull-ups.

So I dropped the script off at Wal-mart because I can do a million things in the time it takes them to fill a script even when they say it will only be 20 minutes. Then I race to the school. I get there and find out that I have everything but, proof of residence and his birth certificate. DAMN IT.

Well, it’s now 3:00 and I wouldn’t be able to make it back home, find the documents, and get back there in time. So, I run to Crest and do my shopping that I neglected this weekend. It was 3:30. I race back to Wal-mart and pick up the script, which I had to wait an extra 15 minutes for and then by 4:00 I was on my way to pick up the Rogue Wit who gets off at 4:45. It takes me a good 30-40 minutes to get up there. This time it only took me 15 minutes. DAMN. So at 4:15 I call and leave a message for Rogue Wit telling him I was there and would just wait it out.

So all in all I got most of the stuff done. It just sucks that now I have to go back again next week. Next week (on Tuesday) my daughter starts school. Sigh.

This is what happens when I'm rushed, LOL.