Monday, July 19, 2004

Konichi--what?

I was thinking and am a little peeved.  The United States of America doesn’t have a national language, like I had previously thought.  It hadn’t occurred to me that English wasn’t the national language, but as it turns out we just don’t have a national one.  Apparently, “we” don’t want to piss off our neighboring countries by adopting a national language.  Yet, our neighboring countries aren’t doing the same.  I guess besides the fact that immigrants choose to move here and live here in “our” land and refuse to speak the language here…but if we moved to Germany or France (etc.) we’d have to learn their language.  Nobody is worried about offending us.  Anyway, my point is…if we aren’t going to adopt a national language, then I think we should quit forcing our schools to teach 12 years of English on our students.  Don’t you think?  I mean we aren’t teaching Spanish from grade school up, but we have English class as early as pre-school.  
Hmm…I was just wondering, anyway.  That’s my opinion and I’ll get of my soap box for today. 
*smiles*
 
P.S.  
Don’t get me wrong…I’m not saying that as a nation we shouldn’t learn to speak another language besides English.  In fact I think that it would be beneficial for us to do so.  I encourage my daughter to speak Spanish, as we watch Dora the Explorer, but I just don’t think that we should have to conform to another country’s ways when it must not have been too good over there in the first place.  If it was better there they wouldn’t have come over here.  How can we placate them like we do as a country?  It’s not beneficial to them either.