Saturday, August 28, 2004

Good Ol' Philippians

Philippians 4:4-8 & 13

Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Verses 4-8 a good man by the name of Gary, had me memorize when I was about 13. I needed mentoring and a guideline. Those verses gave me them. Although, I liked the way they were put in the NIV version I had better than the King James version that I copied them from tonight. I couldn't find my old Bible from high-school. Things like, let your gentleness be evident to all, for the Lord is near...and, in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. I remember almost all of it. You see he told me, that in order to control our life we had to be able to control our mind. These verses tell us how. Saying to think on things that are good and just and honorable and so on.
The last verse, 13 is one I learned in my 6th grade Bible class. I still quote it to myself...quite often. It simply says that I can do anything, because God helps me. Without Him I would most certainly not be here because, I am not stronge. It is "Christ which strengtheneth me."
Philippians is a small book in the Bible. It contains only 4 chapters and is in the New Testament. My other favorite chapters are from the Old Testament: Job and Proverbs. Although the Psalms are very good as well. Hehehe...But I highly recomend Philippians to everyone. It helps to life your spirits.